Directions By Car
From the North: Take I-95 South to the Central Philadelphia Exit (I-676) and follow the signs to I-76 East (Schuykill Expressway). Take I-76 to the South Street Exit (Exit 40). Turn right onto South Street.*
From the Northeast: Take the New Jersey Turnpike to Exit 3. Take the Black Horse Pike (route 168W) one mile to I-295 South. Travel one mile to Exit 26, (I-76 West) to the Walt Whitman Bridge. Cross the bridge onto I-76 West (Schuykill Expressway). Take I-76 to the South Street Exit (Exit 40). Turn left onto South Street*
From the South (and Airport): Take I-95 North to Exit 11 (291 West to I-76). Follow 291 West across the Platt Bridge. Turn left at the traffic light at the end of the bridge onto I-76 West (Schuykill Expressway). Take I-76 to the South Street Exit (Exit 40). Turn left onto South Street.*
From the West: Take the Pennsylvania Turnpike to Exit 24, Valley Forge Interchange. Take I-76 East(Schuykill Expressway) approximately 17 to the South Street Exit (Exit 40). Turn right onto South Street.*
*From South Street: Travel three blocks to 33rd Street. Turn right onto 33rd Street. Travel one block to Walnut Street. Turn left onto Walnut Street and travel four blocks to 37th Street. Steinberg-Dietrich Hall is one block south off of Walnut Street on Locust Walk (a pedestrian street), at the corner of 37th Street and Locust Walk.
Where to Park on Penn Campus: The closest parking facility is on Walnut St. between 37th & 38th sts. N side (access via Walnut St.)
Other Parking Facilities nearby:
- Sheraton Hotel (access via 36th Street)
- 34th and Chestnut Sts., NW corner (access via 34th or Chestnut St.)
- Market St. between 36th & 38th sts. N side (access via Market St.)
- 38th and Market Sts., SE corner (access via 38th St. below Market St.)
There is metered parking along both sides of Walnut Street. Note that you cannot park on the right side of Walnut Street between 4-6 PM.
- Market-Frankford Line “El” to 34th and Market
- The Subway Surface Green Line: 11, 13, 34 or 36 to 36th and Samsom or to 37th Street and Spruce
- Or the 10 to 36th Street and Market
We are near SEPTA’s University City Station (R1, R2, and R3) and Amtrak 30th Street Station.
- From 30th Street Station: Take a taxi to 37th and Walnut Street (a 5-7 minute ride)
- From University City Station: We are a 10 minute walk from the University City Station. Exit at South Street. Turn left onto South Street (becomes Spruce Street), and travel six blocks to 37th Street. Turn right onto 37th street. Travel one block to Locust Walk. Steinberg-Dietrich Hall is at the intersection of 37th Street and Locust Walk.
- Route 21 to 37th and Walnut
- Route 11 and Route 40 to 37th and Spruce
For more information about public transit to the University of Pennsylvania campus, please visit the SEPTA web site.